On Sunday, about 20 racers from the Bike Lane team headed out to race the Greenbrier Challenge. We had racers spanning the entire range of categories from Juniors to the the Cat 1 Open classes. We also had a full team of volunteers to help our friends at PVC put on an excellent race, and the Bike Lane was out providing neutral support throughout the day.
Greenbrier is always a popular race in the area, but with its addition to the MASS series this year, and proximity to the 2013 National Championships in Pennsylvania, it drew an even larger crowd than usual with over 600 participants and fierce competition. The top 15 in each field will qualify to head to the National Championships at Bear Creek in July.
Despite over an inch of rain on Friday night, course conditions were good with most of the course in it’s usual fast and rocky state. Bitch Kitten tortured riders all day long, and the almost always wet downhill section by the campground grew wetter and wetter throughout the day until it felt more like riding a creek bed than a trail. However, that really only added to the fun of an already great course.
Full results can be found here. Highlights are below.
- Kathy Coutinho- Open Cat 1 Women – 5th place
- Karen Talley Mead – Open Cat 1 Women – 9th place
- Julie Guy- Cat 1/2/3 Women 50+ – 2nd place
- Pierre Martel – Cat 1 40-44 3rd place
- Aric Line – Cat 1 40-44 -11th place
- Pete Von Loewe – Cat 1 40-44 – 16th place
- Marc Genberg – Cat 1 44-49 – 11th place
- Russ Adams – Cat 1 50-59 – 19th place
- G Schulz – Cat 2 Male 15-16 1st place
- Brad Hawk – Cat 2 40-44 – 4th place
- Rich Mcafee – Cat 2 40-44 – 16th place
- Jay Korff – Cat 2 45-49 – 4th place
- Larry Cautilli – Cat 2 50-59 – 4th place
- Mike Bender – Cat 2 50-59 16th place
- Ernie Rodriguez – Cat 2 50-59 30th place
- Sagada Penano – Cat 3 Women 13-14 – 2nd place
- G Schulz – Cat 3 13-14 – 1st place
- Bill Olson – Cat 3 30-39 – 5th place
- Anne Mader – Women’s Marathon 6th place
- Matt Mead – Men’s Marathon 22nd place
- Frank Raiti – Men’s Marathon 45+ 21st place